Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Google Health Viewer

I am preparing to take on the task of writing a Google Health Viewer for Android phones. I have done a bit of background reading, but still not enough to launch into the project. What I'm wondering, by publishing this post, is whether there are like-minded collaborators out there, also interested in such a product.

Firstly, I should state that it's my wish to make this an open-source project, and, like the Google Health service itself, be a free app.

I know a lot of folk have concerns about Digital Medical Records, but surely the usefulness, and potentially life-saving benefits to come from it outweigh whatever overly sensitive, and largely unfounded anxieties we have about privacy?

So, if anyone's interested just bung a comment to this post. Would be interested in knowing if things like useful wrapper classes on the Google Data API's are available? Or even ready-made classes for Google Health data entities themselves?

1 comment:

  1. OK, commenting on my own post possibly constitutes talking to myself, but I can't think of another way to do an 'addendum' to this topic.

    Anyway, after some consideration I'm not entirely sure that a Google Health Viewer /needs/ to be an app. It could potentially be effective just as a mobile-optimized web site.

    There are a few reasons to make it an app, mostly offline access, but even these aren't compelling, and can be achieved with other methods, like Google Gears. The 'app experience' is (usually) better than a web experience, but accessing DMR's is, in reality, probably something only needed very rarely so wouldn't be a high-use app.

    ReplyDelete